BEHAVIOR GUIDELINES FOR SWIMMERS AND PARENTS
The following behavior guidelines identify principles Machine Aquatics expects all members (swimmers, coaches, parents) to demonstrate and uphold. These remind us of why we are involved in youth sports, especially in the midst of competition.
- Strive to make every team activity serve as training for life.
- Respect the integrity of swim officials by assuming decisions are based on honest, objective evaluations of performance. Only coaches may approach meet officials for clarification of rulings.
- Promote good sportsmanship by setting an example and by helping others to do likewise. Machine swimmers win gracefully, lose graciously and congratulate their opponents either way.
- Assist the coaches in conducting effective practices by ensuring swimmers arrive and leave on time, and bring the proper equipment.
- Arrive at meets in time for check in, stretching and warm-ups.
- Assist the coaches by not talking with or motioning to swimmers during practices unless clearing it with a coach first.
- Opposing teams, including their swimmers, coaches, and fans, want the same positive experiences for their swimmers as we do. Help Machine Aquatics achieve our goals by avoiding criticism either verbally or by gesture. Look for opportunities to build rapport with teams that we compete and work with.
- Know and uphold Machine Aquatics code of conduct, policies and coach directives that are designed to maximize the experience for all swimmers and parents.
- Realize that swimmers become easily confused when coached by parents and benefit most from positive reinforcement of the professional coaching staff’s instructions and advice. Your unconditional love and support before and after races will help them best.
- Support your professional coaches as they strive to do what is best for each Machine Aquatics swimmer. Our expectations and methods are based on USA Swimming, the American Swim Coaches Association and other recognized swimming authorities.
- Maintain open and honest communication among all members of the Machine Aquatics family. We reach our common goals by working together.
- Refrain from illegal or inappropriate behavior that detracts from a positive image of the team or is detrimental to our performance objectives.